Philadelphia magazine's Ultimate Restaurant Guide
Publication: Aug 04
Publication: Aug 04
5.5 x 8.25
From Philadelphia magazine, a restaurant guide to the city's best food
When renowned national food critic John Mariani ranked Philadelphia's food scene among the top ten in the country, placing it alongside longtime culinary destinations New York and San Francisco, nobody at Philadelphia magazine was surprised. That's what the magazine's food critics—always in search of the best of Philly—have known for years. Now, the Philadelphia magazine's Ultimate Restaurant Guide condenses their comprehensive knowledge—and thousands of meals—into one informative, easy-to-digest handbook, essential for both the Philadelphia foodie and the hungry tourist.
What's on the menu:
•Profiles of Philadelphia's most influential chefs and restaurant owners, including Le Bec-Fin's Georges Perrier, and restaurant mogul Stephen Starr.
•A behind-the-scenes look at the Philadelphia food purveyors, who are responsible for some of the nation's hottest food trends—from La Colombe coffee to Metropolitan Bakery's artisanal breads to Jubilee Chocolates.
•Reviews of more than 230 of the best restaurants in the Philadelphia region, from Center City mainstays Susanna Foo and Morimoto to suburban destinations Alison at Blue Bell and Carmine's Café.
•Easy-to-use index of restaurants by cuisine and neighborhood.
Table of Contents
Foreword – Maria Gallagher
Part I: The People
1. "Everybody Went to Brookie's" – Amy Donahue
2. What's Eating Georges Perrier? – Benjamin Wallace
3. The Last Neil Stein Story – Stephen Rodrick
4. The Reincarnation of Stephen Starr – Larry Platt
5. The Mysterious Mr. Chodorow – Amy Donohue
Part II: The Ingredients
6. The Great Grape Hunt – Benjamin Wallace
7. Chocolates With a Conscience – Victor Fiorillo
8. Thank You for Smoking – Sasha Issenberg
9. Four-Star Farmers – Amy Donohue
10. Miracle of the Loaves – April White
11. Hot Potatoes – Francine Maroukian
12. Caffeine High – Benjamin Wallace
13. Brewery Town – Victor Fiorillo
Part III: The Restaurants
14. Is Philadelphia a Great Restaurant Town or What? – John Mariani
15. The Reviews
Index – Cuisine
Index – Neighborhood